This is one of my stand-bys, my ol’ faithfuls. I’ve made it so many times I know the recipe by heart and its so easy I could do it with my eyes shut, heck a 4 yr old could do it with their eyes shut.* These peanut butter cookies are tasty and always a favourite choice with a cup of tea or to grab off the table as you pass by the kitchen. With only a few ingredients and 10mins cooking time you can turn out a batch before a complete episode of HIMYM has played. Perfect.
Makes approx 15 – 20 cookies depending on size.
- 1 jar of natural peanut butter (you can use any peanut butter you choose, but the natural one has soooo much more flavour). Smooth or crunchy is up to you.
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown or white or a 1/4 cup of each, which ever you prefer/ have in the house)
- 1 egg
- Splash of vanilla essence
You can also add 1/2 cup chocolate chips for extra yummy (white chocolate chips are even more awesome)
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (355 Fahrenheit) and line a baking tray with tin foil.
- Scoop out entire jar of peanut butter and combine with all other ingredients in a small/medium sized mixing bowl until nicely combined.
- Scoop out (or use your hands – I always use my hands, its more fun and I judge amounts better) roughly 1 inch balls and place 2 spaces apart (so they don’t all smoosh together when they spread in the oven) on the baking tray.
- Using a fork press down lightly on each cookie ball to flatten a bit. They cook more evenly and the fork makes a pretty pattern on the cookies.
- Put in the oven for 8-10 mins.
- Remove from oven (should be still slightly soft) and slide tin foil onto a cooling rack. Cool for 10 mins and then stuff your face with warm, melty peanut buttery goodness!
Fresh peanut butter cookies and a hot cuppa
*Leah May does not condone or encourage 4 yr olds to cook with their eyes shut, whether supervised or not.