This is honestly the best potato salad ever. It’s my mama’s recipe and it never fails. Make a batch and take it to the next BBQ or picnic and it’ll be the first thing that disappears. It’s easy to make and soooo tasty it’ll become a staple in your recipe repertoire.
Serves 4-6 as a side
- 6 Potatoes, quartered – or roughly bite size pieces (scrubbed or peeled – your preference)
- 2-3 dill pickles (NOT gherkins!)
- 3 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and quartered
- 1 red onion, roughly diced
- Whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tomatoes chopped (I don’t include these because I don’t like tomatoes but my mama’s original recipe has them in it)
- Optional extras: spring onions, bacon, avocado
- Put prepared potatoes in a pot on the stove and boil until when pierced with a force they offer no resistance (roughly 20 mins)
- While the potatoes are cooking I prepare the other ingredients – boil and peel the eggs, chop the veggies
- Drain potatoes and place in the serving bowl, leave to cool for about 5 mins so they’re not boiling hot but still warm (makes it easier when mixing in the mayo)
- Add diced red onion, dill pickles, tomato and any optional extras to the bowl
- Spoon in desired amount of mayonnaise and gently mix ingredients until mayonnaise coats all the ingredients. In my opinion, and as a lover of good quality mayo, at least 3 tablespoons and anywhere up to 6 for this amount of potatoes.
- Now what makes this salad go from great to awesome is this little addition: pour in a splash of the dill pickle juice from the jar and mix it through. Also just a dash of black pepper.
Voila! The tastiest most fantastic potato salad ever! But then, the simple things are often the best. This is good served still warm or cold from the fridge and will keep for up to 4 days if kept refrigerated. This batch is getting served up with homemade southern fried chicken and grilled green beans tomorrow – though I’ll probably not be able to resist having a small helping now. Enjoy!